|Description||Aqua glass Brookfield CD 151 insulator. The insulator has an embossed "0" on the top of the dome. The groove is positioned between two ridges; the top ridge is slightly wider than the bottom ridge. The double petticoat with a smooth base. The embossed lettering on the front of the petticoat reads: "W. Brookfield" and "New York" on the reverse.|
|Dimensions||H-4.125 Dia-3.5 inches|
Business & Commerce
Communications & Public Utilities
|Year Range from||1890.0|
|Year Range to||1897.0|
In the 1870s and 1880s, the need for insulators increased as more telegraph lines were put into use. During the 1870s, Brookfield began producing large amounts of insulators at their Brooklyn plant, and the quantity of insulators produced was second only to the Hemingray Glass Company. It is estimated that over 100 types of insulators were produced by Brookfield. In 1902, a second plant was opened in Old Bridge, New Jersey. The Brooklyn plant was closed shortly after, in 1912. By the early 1920s, production had stopped at the Old Bridge plant and the company dissolved
From about 1890 to 1897, one half-mold was marked "W. Brookfield" with "New York" on the opposite half-mold. After the company was incorporated in 1898, the "W" was dropped when new molds were made to either replace those too worn to be used or new styles.
CD 151 insulators were used on telegraph lines.
|Made||Brookfield Glass Company|