|Object Name||Stone, Building|
|Description||Large granite block that once formed part of Ball Stores department store in Muncie. The back and side are rough and the top is polished. The block sits on a concrete slab. An incised carved inscription has been added to the top surface of the block. The inscription reads:"The two blocks of granite from the W.A. McNaughton building which was demolished in 1989. They were design elements of the main entrance on Walnut Street. The building was consructed in 1901 at the South East Corner of Walnut and Charles Streets to house the W.A. McNaughton and Co. Department Store. The store and building were purchased in 1934 by a group of investors organized as Ball Stores, Inc. In 1938 Fred J. and Margaret Ball Petty acquired the corporation and Ball Stores was operated for 45 years by the Petty family. / Fred J. Petty, President 1938-1949 / Margaret Ball Petty 1949-1965 / Edmund F. Petty, President 1965-1983."|
|Dimensions||H-27 W-154.5 D-27 inches|
Petty, Edmund F.
Petty, Fred J.
Petty, Margaret Ball
|Year Range from||1920.0|
|Year Range to||1925.0|
Resting along White River Greenway, these two (2005.16.4 and .5) granite slabs commemorate Ball Stores. These columns were taken from the store’s main entrance on South Walnut Street when the building was demolished in 1986.
The Margaret Ball and Edmund F. Petty Memorial Stones were placed at 1:00 PM on September 5, 1991.
|Used||W.A. McNaughton Department Store / Ball Stores|